Sunday, April 5, 2009

Warning: Danger Ahead!!

So I get a lot of questions when people find out my summer plans. The overwhelming response seems to be deep concern for my health and safety. While I have always appreciated that people care that I am and continue to be alive, I am confident that I will not be mauled by a gorilla, infected with AIDS or contract some equally terrifying African disease, kidnapped by corrupt politicians and/or gangs and then sold into white slavery. These were all REAL concerns people have expressed to me...well...except the white slavery one, but I thought it fit quite nicely in with the rest of them.

I wonder why this is. Do people not know enough about parts of Africa to mention all the amazing things I might encounter, and can only think to tell me about what they know about malaria medications? According to the US Dept Consular info sheet (gotta love this site by the way...without their sagely and Jack Bauer's 24 level of paranoia, there might be more people trekking across the world) Anyways, according to them, Italy--a common country for the student traveler--can boast of occasional episodes of anti-American violence, letter bombs, bombs outside public buildings, and a "moderate rate" of violent crime directed at tourists. (Another side note...what the hell does a "moderate rate" of violence look like?) Travelers are victims of rape and beatings, laced drinks, and carjackings. Did you know that?? Yeah me neither, that's why I looked it up and was pleased to find (I guess...) how well it made my point. Yay violence.

Because I mean, Italy sounds like a pretty dangerous place now, right? Somewhere people might be concerned for your well being and personal safety. But this is Italy!! So people will tell you how fun your trip sounds, to make sure to take lots of pictures, drink fantastic wine, see lots of amazing art, and fall in love with an Italian boy.

In the same way, I went to Washington DC this weekend--did you know it's the 5th most dangerous city in the WORLD? But don't worry, I took lots of pictures, drank fantastic wine, saw some incredible art...all the stuff you would have asked me about, right? (no Italian boys though, but thanks for your interest in my love life)

So I wonder why this worry and negative outlook on Rwanda...

The other thing I've been struggling to answer in a "polite" way is, "so how are you going to be helping the people in Africa?" Now, I understand the good intentions and general interest that this question is coming from, but reeeeaaaaalllly people? First off, Africa is not one coutnry, which I feel that everyone knows but seem to forget a lot, instead lumping it all together. It's a continent, over 50 nations with incredible variety in culture, history, language, relgion, and all the jazz.

So let's avoid looking at this trip as me going to help people. I'm going there to learn, and that's what I'm excited about (I know, I'm kinda a huge nerd) Clearly, I'm a big fan of humanitarian work, but to apporach this trip in a that way would be so so wrong. It makes it sound like I have all the answers and have so generously come to share my wealth, knowledge, and general awesomeness (still true on that last one) with these "poor African people."

And speaking of helping people, I just finished reading these two books...one by Peter Singer titled The Life You Can Save, and also Dambisa Moyo's Dead Aid. One sentence summaries: Singer thinks people should give a large and significant portion of their wealth to NGO's in order to end extreme poverty. Moyo is very critical of aid---she looks at the ways aid to Africa has destroyed local economies, created more debt and poverty, and that there are better ways to develop Africa. I can't say I have a definitive opinoin right now.

Ahhhh, yet again, this post has become increasingly more soap boxy and intense than I originally intended. I promise I don't only think about these kind of things!! Fun stuff occurs often, I promise. Ha, it seems that a lot of things lately have made that unexpected turn...next time I vow to discuss something more light hearted---perhaps some re-telling of Taylor's cross dressing experiences, a discussion on how tights are not pants, a list of Ways Caitlin Fails At Being Cool (suggested by a great friend...thanks) or hopefully! some incredible stories of the celebrations of Caronlina Basketball after Monday night!! Go Heels!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment