So, of course, I'm sitting in Caribou--where the two baristas greeted me by name because I'm here so often (I think that's a sign I need to lay off on the caffeine), and I have a lovely view of the hundreds of people willing to stand in line for Ben and Jerry's Free Cone Day.
Not that I don't love free stuff. Free stuff is really exciting, and regardless if I even wanted it, I usually take it...because...it's free. Or even buy one get one free, somehow that just seems awesome too, even though I'm still paying for it. I remember when I shopped at Claire's and they constantly had the "buy 3 get 2 free" earrings, which meant that every time I went to the mall, I came out with 5 more pairs of earrings, because of course I wasn't going to pass up such a great deal.
But I think that my UNC education has destroyed my sense of fun and excitement over free stuff...because all I can think of right now are the opportunity costs of standing in that line, the environmental impact of all those free promotional stuff, or the fact that you still have to pay for 3 to get 3. THANKS Carolina, you've turned me into a crazy econ nerd.
No amount of education will ruin my excitment for free sprinkles though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment