Sunday, May 23, 2010

Just for Marian

  • The flight really wasn't too bad...not that I slept very much. Movies and ambien are a pretty good combo for a few short naps.
  • I always think it's awkward to sit next to someone for 14 hours and rarely say a word.
  • Customs: what's the point? I could have carried in a live chicken in my bag and no one would have known. (Ok, that might be a slight exaggeration...)
  • My first full day in SA I went to an outdoor market--with lots of European pastries, meats, coffee, wines, etc--with my house mates. Lauren, you would LOVE this place--gorgeous fruit pastries, macaroons, coffees, crepes--take a break from France and visit!
  • I had a crepe with roasted sweet potato, beetroot, feta, balsamic vinegar, and pumpkin seeds. It made me think of Australian veggie sandwiches when the beetroot turned everything pink
  • I'm going to have to get used to the "European style" of coffee sizes again--which means excellent coffee, but tiny tiny sizes! R15 (about 2USD) for maybe half the size of an American tall.
  • The weather changes dramatically--all last week people were telling me to bring my rain gear and coats..but the last two days have been brilliantly sunny and hot. Today was about 24C (75F)
  • The house mates I have spent the most time with are all German, which has been fun to have people around my age to spend time with. One works at a law firm, another works at an online Cape Town magazine, one works in the medical school at UCT, and one is a 15 year old attending the German school nearby. Some of their other friends work at the law firm, and a Spanish girl works in a HIV program.
  • We all went to a bar last night to watch the Germans play in a football final--except I'm woefully ignorant to the workings of soccer...this is a necessary thing to learn in CT.
  • I take lots of naps. It's lovely getting over jet lag.

No comments:

Post a Comment