Friday, June 17, 2011

Penises. And pictures of them

Reading between all the terrible penis puns of late, I have to say I find the whole thing more than a little ridiculous. Of all the awful sex scandles (and REAL scandals--aka things that actually influence how government is run) that have been exposed over the years in our nation's history, I struggle to grasp how sending pictures through Twitter to consenting adults should be the kill shot on Weiner's congressional career.

Sure, it has a little bit of an ick factor. But in an age where sexting is about as common as making out in movie theaters, I bet most people have a few skeletons in their internet closet they wouldn't want their employers--or the entire country--to know about.

Nor should we. When it comes to policy making and actual job matters, someone's personal life shouldn't matter one bit--unless it is interfering with that job. We don't elect people because we believe they are morally superior to us--because that's not in their job description--and it's hypocritical to hold them to these standards.

Of course there are times when personal life does matter. Having sex with someone you work with or for--totally America's business. Things in someone's personal life that is illegal--totally our business. Being a sexist pig that creates a hostile work environment--maybe a tiny less our business but I would still say America has a right to know. Being a homophobic gay-basher working to take away the few rights we give them...and then getting caught with male prostitutes--absolutely America's business. Because who doesnt love irony. But I refuse to believe that a person's relationship with their spouse, mistresses, and internet randos makes someone bad at their job.

From this entire experience, I think the most important lesson learned is this:
STOP MAKING TWITTER AND FACEBOOK SUCH A BIG DEAL. If I have to sit through another CNN analysis of what "the people are saying on Twitter" I'm going to start bleeding from the ears. Pick your heads up from your dumbass smart phones (see what I just did there? Damn I'm clever) and learn to communicate in more than 140 characters. Extra bonus points if it's outside and you're talking face to face with a real human.

2 comments:

  1. i think people sext way more than they make out in movie theaters...maybe because i don't make out in movie theaters...ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly me...I should have said "sexting is as common as using the phrase 'hey, wanna come over and watch a movie at my place?'"

    dont try to deny that one Katie ;)

    ReplyDelete