Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Little Things

So I've been thinking about all the little things that make each day special, and thought I'd make a list. Lets just say its a work in progress and will need to be updated more than once!

1. being stared at by children (and adults) shouting mzungu! (a slang, somewhat rude term for white person) but I mean, hey, we stick out and we know it.
2. seeing Patrick, our "helper" at the guest house, and his smiling face every morning
3. eating a breakfast of passion fruit, pineapple, figs, amazing African bananas (I swear they taste better) bread with jam, this yummy cheese with little holes all in it, and multiple cups of coffee
4. learning Kinyarwandan from our servers at bars
5. David making fun of my complete failure to learn the language.
6. listening to Thomas talk to our cab drivers, and everyone else for that matter
7. riding in the love bus
8. going out to Rwandan clubs and dancing to really old American hip hop
9. going for a run with David and Kate while being followed and "raced" by children (oh and did I mention I had to wear pants? yay conservativism)
10. hiding from the cops with four people in the back seat of a taxi, and running out of gas
11. eating dinner with the power out (apparently they dont have a generator, but they DO have some pretty romantic candles).
12. spending thousands of Rwandan francs for everything (1000 francs equals about $2)
13. finding a local bar that sells platters of goat kabobs, Primus, and the BEST POTATOES I have ever had in my life. seriously. I talk about them all the time. I want to eat them for the rest of my life.
14. hiking the tallest mountain in Kigali in ballet flats (number one rule in a develping country: be flexible and go with the flow!)
15. not being on Facebook 24/7
16. not being able to text at all
17. reading about places I've actually been to
18. singing hip hop songs with 13 year old boys
19. bartering with street vendors
20. taking the minibus. it's a cultural experience for sure
21. learning to love hand sanitizer
22. getting locked out of the guest house in the middle of the night
23. listening to children singing outside my window
24. figuring out the max number of days I can go without doing laundry

2 comments:

  1. oh how i do miss your texting...i love the list! and i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this (especially the potato part - um YUM!)

    and also love that first picture, uh duh :)

    ReplyDelete