You know those adventure books you read as a kid that would give you a decision to make, and you’d have to turn to a different page of the book to continue on your journey? I used to have a Mario Brothers one where I was supposed to save the princess, and I’d always cheat and try to figure out the best series of decisions that would give me the best outcome. If I fell in a pit because I decided to choose turning left down the spooky trail, instead of turning right near the lake of lava, I’d just quickly flip back to where I had to make a choice—and choose the other one.
In this thing called “reality” that I have to occasionally remind myself I live in, I wonder which pivotal decisions I’d flip back to and do differently. Those moments—the ones I know completely changed things—I wonder what I’d pick to do now, if I knew turning left has me falling into a pit in 5 pages.
It took me a while to realize that even with all my cheating, I never found the perfect path in my Mario Brothers adventure book. And going back to change my decisions not only made the story more confusing, but it also kinda killed the fun of reading the book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment