What’s the point of caring about world events? Why does it matter if we know what is going on in Sudan right now if it doesn’t affect us? Now sure, you could do the whole “six degrees of separation” thing, or simply explain how as a united humanity, an atrocity towards one is an atrocity towards all philosophy, but that still ain’t changing the way I live my day to day life.
And even let’s say I am a compassionate person who does care deeply about the starving people in India, the poor sanitary conditions in southern China, or the homelessness in Durham. Since there is no way I as an individual can do anything to change it or do anything about it on a meaningful scale, how is simply KNOWING about it and being AWARE that its happening any different than the person who is clueless? How much real change has a UNC member of the ONE campaign done, compared to the self righteous trust fund baby who’s excited about the new season of The Hills?
Does it really matter if I know about the US involvement in Afghanistan? If I do or don’t, I’m still not going to be able to stop the Taliban. Beyond simple self-respect and “being an educated person,” who cares if I can name the 3 branches of our government? Or if I take the time to understand the health care debate, because let’s be honest, whether I understand it or not, decisions are being made.
Are the coffee shop revolutionaries, the UNC study abroad kids who go to Rwanda or the stay at home dads who watch CNN and MSNBC all day really any better than the “ignorance is bliss” bunch?
I think I'll stop there. My question mark key is feeling overworked.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment